The dinner was very well attended this year with 204 people coming. We really have Adrian Smith to thank for this for his enthusiastic encouragement and reminders to companies to attend.
The dinner was fishcakes, slow cooked beef and syrup sponge. It was very good and fortunately the beef was far tenderer than the last time we had some!
The first lady president, Christine Wilkinson, gave a very enjoyable speech with both funny and serious points to it.
Awards were given to the following:
• Learner of the Year. Intermediate Apprenticeship in Textiles decided by the Textile Centre of Excellence; JAMES CROSLAND of Westwood Yarns Ltd.
• Learner of the Year. Advanced Apprenticeship in Textiles, decided by the Textile Centre of Excellence; LEANNE COID of James Dewhirst Ltd.
• Best use of textiles in fashion garment, decided by the University of Huddersfield; GURWINDER GILL, unfortunately he couldn’t attend the dinner.
• Creativity in design, from the University of Huddersfield; LAURA DAVENPORT.
• Innovation in design, from the University of Huddersfield; YOOA KANG.
Huddersfield Textile Society award winners
The guest speaker, Brian Newbold, had replaced Graham Walker who unfortunately had to cancel due to illness. Brian kept the room laughing for half an hour with various short stories and jokes. That wrapped up a very enjoyable evening.